Monday, April 13, 2015

Spring? Really?

Mother Nature woke up last Friday and appears to have banished Grandfather Frosty!  

We are enjoying sunny days.  It may go up to seventy today!  We are so ready for this.  The ground is still pretty solid so no real digging yet, but a lot of raking is in order.

The crocuses bloomed on Friday, but yesterday, on my birthday, one daffodil bloomed.  I feel like I was given a most special gift





The fish are up from the bottom and swimming around.  They come over to where we are standing, expecting to be fed.  We did lose five fish this year.  We think it was a combination of old age and the ice and snow being too thick so that no light or oxygen got through.  We still have about two dozen plus some babies.  I swear they have all grown, although I don't see how they could.  We're going to but in a small heat ring next winter to keep a small area open.

We will keep the net on until the trees leaf out a bit.  We took it off too early last year and almost became a feeding area for hawks and animals!


Lastly, this is the mug I bought at the NCECA Cup Sale.  I know nothing about the maker, but I think the yellow is a cheerful color.  It's also pleasant to drink from!
 

Here's to a sunny week, with perhaps a little rain!

As always, thanks for stopping by..........*s*

12 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday. So glad you're a daffy dilly gal. Great yellow mug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb....Thanks. Daffodils are always appreciated after our gray days of winter.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday and happy spring! I'm amazed that fish can live through the frozen winters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy.....Thanks. Our pond is deep enough that it doesn't freeze solid. The fish go sort of inert and survive quite nicely.

      Delete
  3. Your crocus are so beautiful, we have so many trees blooming all around us it is an amazing spring. I should have brought my camera with me today. Wow your fish have gotten so big, how wonderful. The cup is joyful, love her rendition of the leaves on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda....Your spring is weeks ahead of ours. I never seem to have my camera when I need it!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Gary....Thanks. I have mixed feelings about birthdays.

      Delete
  5. Dearest Suzi,
    What a perfect timing for that daffodil to open up on your Birthday! So you had a happy day and with milder weather. Yes, we always must be oh so precautious in dealing with nature around the home. One could be paying dearly for mistakes. Smart idea for next year in the pond.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday a bit late! Love the fish pond. I'm pretty sure my cats would love it too (too much) so I should probably just enjoy the pictures of yours.

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.