Monday, July 28, 2014

Muggy Majolica Monday

I'm being a little punny today!  We've had about two inches of rain since yesterday.  It's like living in a steam bath.  As I write this the sky has been clearing and the humidity dropping.  It's time to go out and take a look at the plants.

This is another one of my balloon mug experiments.  I make the mugs around an inflated water balloon.  They end up holding about 12 oz.  I glaze the interiors with a Spectrum low fire clear that I tint with a little red-brown Mason Stain.  I wait to glaze and decorate the exteriors after the bisque firing.  

There is a lot I'm changing about this one.  I am now making them with several little feet to give them a little lift and more stability.  I like the idea of the handle but I don't really like the reality of it.  I like to be able the cradle a mug in my hand with my thumb through the handle.  This doesn't really work!



This one is glazed with Spectrum #799 Majolica White, painted with Mason Stains.  The green and yellow are mixed with 'paste'  (50/50 gerstley borate and frit 3124).  The other colors are Mason Stains mixed 50/50 with frit 3124.


Enjoy the day and the summer.....is August really on our door step?

Thanks for stopping by.............*s*

11 comments:

  1. darn my comment went away, it's really hard for me to judge handles I need to make more mugs to get more practice. I bought some balloons some time ago to try your trick and now I can't find them Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda....I've been having the same problem.....blogspot 'improvements'?!
      I usually go our and buy more. Some corollary of Murphy's Law means that I will find the original pack within the hour!

      Delete
  2. Hi Cheri....It still needs work, but it's getting there. We've been hearing about the lightening strikes here in RI. SCARY

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really pretty. The new ones sound even better. Show us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori....Thanks. There will be photos........soon!

      Delete
  4. Dearest Suzy,
    Lovely balloon mug. Oh, the humidity is killing us and I'm like an invalid after having pulled weeds on Friday till 8:00 PM (because it was cooler...) but guess the humidity got into my back bones. Can hardly move!
    Unreal that we only have a few July days left; can you keep up with life's pace? I sure cannot...!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariette....Thanks. We have to start paying attention to our bodies. It's most annoying to wake after what your thought was normal activity the previous day and find that you are barely able to move! Boo! Hiss!
      Enjoy what is left of July!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Gary.....We'll see, Grashopper....we'll see!

      Delete
  6. Love the design. Hope you post when you do a footed version. Sounds like that would be a lovely addition.
    We're not humid here; but it was a dry 106 killer degrees here yesterday. The heat got to me and today all my gardening is going to be done before 8am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June....Thanks I'm working on it!
      I've been trying to work outside in the early hours before the sun hits everything!
      Just saw a very fat GROUNDHOG! eating violet leaves! That explains Winter going berserk! I may have to get another BBGun!

      Delete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.