Saturday, December 14, 2013

Origins?


I was going through some of my various sketchbooks and notebooks this morning, looking for a croissant recipe.  I came across this sketch in a book dated 7/02 on the spine.   I think it's based on a U-shaped candle...."I burn my candle at both ends..." which I adapted to a holder.  On the other hand I may have seen something along these lines in a catalog.  It was eleven years ago and I made no note of its origins, if indeed there are any.  I suppose it's possible that I dreamt it.  I do note things I have dreamed of, but I have no memory of this one.  If it weren't so obviously done in my style with my writing I might even doubt that I drew it.

I do remember that I had several pairs of hand dipped candles that were this shape.  They were beeswax in soft colors and burned beautifully.  There is nothing like beeswax for a long burning even light.  Plus it has that wonderful scent.


We are a having a spell of cold weather; it hasn't gone above twenty all day.  It generally doesn't get this cold until mid January.....but you never know around here.  It has been snowing softly since mid morning.  I don't think there has been an inch accumulation.  Because it's so cold it sweeps away easily.  I think it's supposed to get heavier and possibly change to rain near morning.  I just hope we are not in for a winter where it starts out snow, turns to rain, then the temperature drops and freezes everything.  Stepping out the door can be treacherous in those conditions.  I can remember at least two winters that we slogged through in that weather pattern.

Meanwhile we have water inside, plenty of wood, a small gas burner and the power inverter if the electricity goes out.

This will probably do in our sales tomorrow.  People in this area tend to stay home even under slightly threatening conditions.  If the roads are bad I'll wait to go over to restock.

Aloysius is sleeping in his favorite box.....he's still in love with the green packing material you sent, Linda.  I think he looks like he was put together without reading the instructions!

I'm going to try to post this to Mud Colony's Facebook page, once I figure out how to do it......that may not happen until tomorrow!

Update:  Did a short post on Facebook....look for Suzi Caswell.  Boy! That thing can really suck you in!

Happy 3rd Advent.  As always, thanks for stopping by..........*s*

15 comments:

  1. We have had a fair amount of snow today, and colder than normal temps. Can hardly wait for January....... Great time to work on new and old projects. Oh to have the joints of a cat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy...There wasn't too much snow but it did turn to sloppy rain and fog...temps will drop this afternoon and tonight. Sometimes I like to start a year long project in January to keep me going through the year.
      I continually envy my cats.....wouldn't it be great to jump up to a space instead of using a ladder?

      Delete
    2. Ha! I'd be grateful to land on my feet! :)

      Delete
  2. Dearest Suzy,
    What a great story with that drawing... Our mind cannot hold on to every little detail!
    Beeswax does not give the soot either, one can tell when burning other candles, the ceiling gets blackened etc.
    Aloysius is in that deep cat-sleep where they can let go and feel sheltered and safe with their human Parent!
    Hugs to you, happy 3rd Advent!
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariette.....Thanks; so many things we think we will never forget get lost in the past, then rise as memories.
      For a cat who spent his early months in a dumpster Aloysius is one of the most loving, easy going cats we have ever had. I'm not sure about his brain power. This is a cat who will run downstairs and cry until we call me back to the living room.
      A happy 3rd Advent to you Pieter.

      Delete
    2. it's always interesting to find old notes and sketches from the past and ponder where your mind was at at that time in life.

      Delete
    3. Hi Michelle......When I find these sketches I always say that in the future I will try to note the where and why....but I never do.

      Delete
  3. Nice.
    I fully understand that moment where you see something that you did and think....
    We are having winter this year even if we don't want it. It sounds like you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith....We're ready, but I am not amused by the weather. Generally I start questioning living in RI in January......winter has come early!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Gary......KEWT! (to borrow your spelling) is GOOD!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Gary....yeah, I know, 'kewt' is from Jane @ Harmonies Of The Net!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think having a scrapbook is a great thing! Even after years you can get ideas out of it! I had to laugh when reading about forgetting that you had drawn it... that is what happens! I am a little jealous that it is cold in your place - here it is far too warm and we will not get any snow till Christmas! Keep warm and MERRY CHRISTMAS! Christa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christa.....Memories do strange things over time.
      A Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.