Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Time Fugits

Wow! It has been so long since I've thrown anything that it's a wonder the mice haven't taken up residence in my wheel.


I threw these little forms last night.  They are the basis for mice, penguins, pigs and any other animal I can think up.

The larger form wanted to be a small teapot.  I like to cut my clay while it is still pretty wet, thus the lid.  I will wait until it's a soft leather stage to begin working on it.

I've been trying to throw a little heavier than I usually do.  I use Miller #25 a fritted terra cotta.  The frit makes it possible to throw thin.  Sometimes a good thing, sometimes not.

Question:  How do you discourage Helper Cats from helping?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Suzi,
    Lovely to see your new blog and your majolica work. The view out your studio window, with the little shed, is lovely (hope we get to see some more garden photos!). I see that you make whistles, are they a type of ocarina, or are they blown more like a flute?
    I like your Gossiping Goony Birds (they remind me of some of the characters in our small town!
    Best Wishes, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. My helper cats like to be near me where ever I am, one sits on the back of my chair and one tries to drink my waste water which isn't good for her so I have to be careful to cover it. I've put a comfortable spot for them nearby which helps. I cut my clay rather wet too, sometimes too wet. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter,
    The whistles are simple whistles blown like an ocarina with no extra holes. Eventually I'll add more holes when I can get the tones right.
    I usually plant the little shed window box. Our spring was so cold and wet I finally gave up in frustration.
    Thanks for the encouraging words.....suzi

    Hi Linda,
    One of my guys likes to sit across my shoulders any time he can. He does understand no but half the time he gets that 'Who me?' look.
    Thanks for the posts........suzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by TNS. I got a chuckle out of your helpful cat. Mine haven't learned to unplug me--yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes having a break can help.
    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi gz....you are so right about that! Thanks for stopping by.

    Hi Patti....our kitteez sure make life into interesting times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.